On this holiday weekend I am reminded of all the things I am thankful for. The canine way, of course. Ten Reggie things I am thankful for:
- Reggie never poops on a walk. NEVER. I don’t even take bags. Because I don’t have to.
- Reggie never steals food off the counter or a plate or fallen on the floor…in my house. He knows his boundaries. You are warned if he’s in your house.
- Reggie knows his right from his left and can appropriately give “paw” when asked.
- Reggie is sensitive and will head butt you when he knows you are feeling down. This is his way of hugging you.
- Reggie has never chewed shoes, furniture, pillows, etc. He has never destroyed anything that wasn’t one of his toys.
- Reggie has been poked, prodded, stuck with needles, eye dropped, ear dropped, blood drawn, so many pills…FREQUENTLY and on an ongoing basis and he tolerates it all. He loves his vet and has no qualms about the office. That’s a trooper!
- Reggie likes baths.
- Reggie is good with kids and other animals. He has been punched, pulled, kicked, ridden like a pony, and “punched” by a cat. Nothing phased him. I was terrified and then promptly rewarded him. In that split second between when it happens and you intervene, you never know what your dog’s breaking point is and their reaction will be.
- Reggie is a snuggler.
- Most important, I am thankful that Reggie is mine.
I could just as easily write a list of ten things I am NOT thankful for, starting with tennis ball resource guarding, but that’s not what this is about. Be thankful every day for the dog you have and the lessons they teach you 🙂